Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Who Says Kids Won't Eat Their Veggies - Sausage and Eggplant Pasta

My mom is one of those people who is a sucker for those little cookbooks they sell at the cash register in the grocery store.  I regularly find them on her coffee table stuck between her magazines and Sunday paper.  It is one of those things I have always teased her for, then I end up taking them home and using them, and (oops) never returning them.  Good thing we live close.  


She made this dish for me one night when I stayed with them while my husband was away.  It is just one of those comfort foods that taste like home.  Even if you don't like eggplant, I promise you will in this dish.  Our daughter ate every last bite saying, "Mom, this pasta is delicious."  (I wish I could type the inflection in her cute voice.)


Try it, tweak it, see how you like it.  I made some changes to the recipe when I made it for us, just because I had certain things on hand.  This is a great dish to make for a large crowd.  I actually bake one in a small dish for us and then freeze another one for another night.  


Sausage and Eggplant Pasta



Ingredients:

  • 1 package (1 pound) penne pasta (I use brown rice pasta because it has some added nutritional value)
  • 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage (I don't eat a lot of pork and have made this with turkey sausage and those chicken sausage links)
  • 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 a container of sliced portebella mushrooms
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used the one seasoned with oregano and basil)
  • 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 15 oz carton of ricotta cheese
  • 4 cups of mozzarella cheese (I only used 2 cups)
Note:  If you don't want to use canned tomatoes + tomato paste a jar of your favorite pasta sauce would work as well!  

Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.  Set sausage aside.
  2. In the same skillet, saute the eggplant, onion, garlic, mushrooms, (could add some green bell pepper) in oil.  You might have to add some oil to the pan because the eggplant soaks it up pretty quick.  Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, basil, and paprika; simmer, partially covered for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Drain pasta; stir into eggplant mixture.  Add sausage.
  3. Spread half of the sausage mixture into a 13 by 9 dish.  Spread with ricotta cheese.  Top with half of the mozzarella cheese and remaining sausage mixture.  
  4. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.  
This is comfort food at its best!  Enjoy this with a green salad or steamed broccoli and garlic bread.  Your family will have a new favorite!  

No comments:

Post a Comment