Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Warm up with ... Three Bean Chili with Banana Cornbread Muffins

Really, it's not that cold here, but I am a sucker for chili and soup.  I just love to make a big pot at the beginning of the week so I have leftovers for lunch.  So, last night, I made it a Meatless Monday and made this Three Bean Chili that I saw in Cooking Light magazine.  I don't like to cook different things for us and our daughter, so I learned a trick.  If I wrap anything up in a tortilla she eats it.  She calls it a "turrito."  So, Naomi enjoyed a "turrito" with the chili in the middle with some cheese sprinkled on top.

I also made these wonderful banana cornbread muffins to go along with our chili.  I will include both of the recipes.

Happy Dinner!!!

Three Bean Vegetarian Chili



Ingredients:

  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 3 tablespoons EVOO
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups organic vegetable broth
  • 1.5 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash (I cheated and found some frozen)
  • 1 (28oz) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
  • 1 can each:  pinto, cannellini, and red kidney beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
Directions:

  1.  Preheat broiler.
  2.  Cut bell peppers in half length wise.  Remove and discard seeds.  Place pepper halves, skin up, on a baking sheet and broil until charred, about 15 minutes.  Place in a ziploc or brown bag and let sit for about 15 minutes so the skins can cool and will peel easily.  Then, peel and chop the peppers to add to the chili.  
  3. Heat a dutch oven over medium-low heat.  Add oil to the pan; swirl to coat.  Add onion, cook until translucent.  Stir in cumin and next 4 ingredients; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add bell peppers, broth, squash, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer.  Cook 20 minutes (if you use frozen squash, it doesn't even need 20 minutes).  Add beans, simmer 10-20 minutes to blend flavors.  Sprinkle with green onions on top.  
Best Banana Corn Muffins
This recipe is fool-proof and goes great with a variety of meals.


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup freshly milled flour (or whole-wheat flour)
  • 3/4 cup freshly milled corn meal (or corn meal from a package)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 Tablespoons of honey
  • 1 egg
  • 2-3 Tablespoons of melted butter (or a little bit of olive oil, if you are lazy like me)
  • 2-3 ripe mashed bananas
Combine the dry ingredients.  Add milk, honey, egg, and melted butter.  Mix well.  Bake in a greased muffin pan at 425 for about 10-12 minutes.  You can also use all corn meal, but the result is a little bit drier.  

Honestly, if you don't want to go through this trouble, you can always add some ripe bananas to a box of jiffy corn muffins.  I think it would turn out just as good!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks pretty tasty Anita!!! I basically have all of your recipes on my "TRY THIS SOON" list in google docs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aly - I thought you would like the butternut squash!!

    ReplyDelete