Thursday, January 14, 2010

Add Some Spice to Your Life: Chicken Coconut Curry Soup

You'll be singing, "There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy" after trying this one (If you have a toddler at home you understand this reference :)).  It was wonderful.  I think magic happens when you mix curry and coconut milk.  I am not a master at the task as of yet, but I am working on it.  I have learned, if you use curry paste, rather than curry powder, your dinner is exponentially better (how's that from a math teacher, I wonder if my former students read this and roll their eyes .... probably).  I use a brand called, Patak's.  I know that there are others, but this one tastes great.  I use it for a variety of recipes and it is worth every penny.  Just be sure to refrigerate it after opening.  Here is a picture of the label of the curry paste and from the coconut milk I used:

    
Yes, the coconut milk is from one of my favorite stores on earth, Trader Joe's.  I think we keep them in business and we are a family of three.  We are there every week, at least once. Their products are great.

Thai flavors are one of my husband's favorite, so I decided to surprise him tonight with this one.  He gave it some rave reviews.  So, if you are feeling a little brave, try this one on a cold night.  I served this with some fresh bread and a mixed greens salad.

Chicken Coconut Curry Soup


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
1/2 an onion chopped finely
1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
1 cup chopped chicken meat (white or dark meat)
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons red curry paste (such as Patak's, although I think I added 3)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
14 oz. can of coconut milk (I am sure if you buy the full fat it is extra creamy)
2 cans of chicken broth (warning, if you buy low sodium you will want to add salt to this)
cilantro, for garnish (optional)

Directions:
In a dutch oven, heat olive oil with onions, carrots, and red bell pepper.  Cook about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.  Add the chicken, rice, curry paste and brown sugar.  Stir until well blended.  At this point, the mixture will be pretty thick.  Slowly add the chicken stock loosening any brown bits from the pan and then add the coconut milk.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes and serve hot.

Pretty easy for a weeknight meal, especially if you cook some of this ahead of time.  I usually cook up a bunch of chicken early in the week and then use it throughout in different dishes.  This saves on prep time and won't allow me to make any excuses!  I hate throwing away food.  I found this recipe at Sweet Savory Life, and followed it almost exactly.  She said you can add fish sauce, and some other garnishes but I didn't mess with all that.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm...this sounds SO delicious! we LOVE curry, especially me! was it too spicy for naomi to eat? i think i'll try this this week!

    ReplyDelete