Saturday, July 17, 2010

Love the Carnival? Try These Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies

I made these cookies awhile back, and thought I would share them with you.  Kind of a new take on an oatmeal raisin cookie.  I love the mixture of caramel and apple, and if you get them out of the oven quickly, they end up really chewy.  I will warn you, you will want to eat them all when you make them.  So make sure that you have somewhere to take them or people to serve them to.  My camera was broken when I made them so I don't have a picture of the ones I made, but the recipe came out of the March 2010 Cooking Light magazine.  The picture posted below is also from the magazine.  


The recipe calls for caramel bits or chunks of caramels.  I found the caramel bits at SuperTarget.  I haven't seen them anywhere else.  I just did not want to have to cut up sticky caramels.  One bag is enough for two or three recipes.  


Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies




1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 cup finely chopped dried apple slices
3/4 cup caramel bits or 16 small soft caramel candies, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350°.


2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl; stir well.


3. Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in apple and caramel bits.


4. Drop dough by 2 teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly with hand. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment